Thursday, April 24, 2008

Oh gosh, here I go...

When I decided to become an English major in college I had no idea where that would lead me. I quickly discovered that the road would pretty much inevitably lead to grad school. When I started grad school I considered it as just a means to and end - that end being a job. However, after two years of graduate work I've discovered that I really like learning. Sick, I know, but this leads me to realize that it is also pretty inevitable that I will someday become Dr. Lindsay - yes- in the distant future I plan to pursue an M.Ed. or a Ph.D. Am I crazy? Maybe, but i do have the examples set before me of family members who have acheived this, which tell me that I can too.

That being said, I took my first step down the road to academe today. I submitted a paper for publication to a scholarly journal. Now, it's not astrophysics (Uncle Gary), but it is meaningful to my field. If you'd like to check out the journal you can go here: http://www.psu.edu/dus/mentor/. It's an academic advising journal. Clearly there's no guarantee that I will be published, but it's at least a first step.

Here's to many more years of research, writing, and tuition dollars to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you, Lindz! I hope you are published. I know it must be a good paper. I KNOW you can do it - the "Dr." thing. Love - Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm still not doing my comments right. I wrote one yesterday congratulationg you and asking you to alert us when it is published so we can read it, but somehow it didn't "take." We'll see if this one does.
Bobo

Anonymous said...

YEAH! SUCCESS!!
Bobo