Friday, February 20, 2009

This is where I live...

This article ran in The State today, our newspaper: http://www.thestate.com/local/story/690492.html
The line in here that caught my attention was, "Currently, one in four S.C. schools has more than 90 percent of its students living in poverty." The article goes on to predict that with rising poverty levels due to the recession (and I would add one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, which continues to climb) this number will only increase. Of course, those schools with the high poverty rates chronically underperform on standardized tests, etc., earning them the ire of the state education big wigs.
You Texans who read this will be interested to note, in light of the above information, that of the $1 billion cut from our state budget this year, about a third came from the public school system. Seems like a great way to solve this problem to me.
I know this is off-topic, but I just had to get it off my chest!

No comments: