Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pi Beta Phi to thee...

After three years on the lam, I'm finally getting back to my Pi Beta Phi. As I've mentioned before, I'm becoming a charter member of the Alumnae Panhellenic that's being formed here in Columbia. Well, I figured that since I was representing the Pi Beta there, I ought to try to get in touch with the actual Pi Phi alum club here in Columbia.

This morning I contacted the alum club president, and I must admit I was a bit skeptical about the activity level of the alum club here. You see, there is not a single Pi Phi collegiate chapter in the state of South Carolina. However, I just got off the phone with Madame President, and she's sending me all the information about the club in the mail, adding me to the roster, and has invited me to the club's September meeting. It sounds like the club is mostly composed of older women (Ellen, the pres., graduated from college two years after my mom was born), but she sounded excited to have a younger woman in the mix. My days at Trinity UMC and with the PEO's in Sumter have taught me that there's nothing quite like having a bunch of grandmotherly and motherly women around when you're in a new place, so I'm equally excited to have some new Pi Phi companions.

I'll let you know how our first meeting pans out!

No comments: